Seven Points to Divine Life
The ancient Eastern Christian Faith
in the Gospel of Jesus Christ
By Sub-Deacon Lazarus Der-Ghazarian, M.A.
1. God created & brought us into existence (Gen 1:26) because He is love (1 Jn 4:8) and wants to share His love & Divine Life with us. His plan for us was to know and love Him, to be in communion and partake of His Divine Life in order to become God-like for everlasting life.
2. But man turned away from God’s plan, wanting to be “God-like” without God (Gen 3). Man misused his free-will by rejecting God’s will. Sin is ultimately a rejection of God’s love and Divine Life. Through sin, mankind partook of Death (Rom 5:12) and, as a result, now we all sin and go against God’s will. Our communion with God (our participation in His Divine Life) has been broken. Therefore we die.
We are caught by sin and death and unable save ourselves (Ps 48:7-9 LXX).
3. God the Father sent His Only-begotten Son into this world to become man and heal our broken humanity (Heb 2:14-15). He restored our broken communion with God and gave everyone again the opportunity to know Him and to partake of His Divine life (Jn 3:16).
4. Now we all have to decide for ourselves if we want to partake of His Divine life. Since true love is freely chosen, God will not force this on us. We must use our free-will. If we want God’s life in us, participation in the life of God begins with repentance (Mt 3:2, 7-10). We begin by acknowledging and taking responsibility for the things we have done wrong in our lives. We ask God’s forgiveness and His power to help us turn away from sin and wrong doing (1 Jn 1:5-10). We can begin in our hearts but we should also confess our sins before one of His priests whom God has established as His ministers of reconciliation (2 Cor 5:18; Jn 20:21-23).
5. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father but through Him (Jn 14:6). To become one with Jesus Christ through faith, is also to become one with His body the Church (Col 1:24). The way to enter into the Church and participate in God’s Divine Life is by (1) faith in the All-Holy Trinity (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit) and (2) reception of Holy Baptism (Mt 28:18-20 & Mk 16:15-16).
6. Once we have repented, become Baptized and receive God’s Holy Spirit (Jn 3:3-5): We are cleansed of our sins, we are enlightened with God’s truth, we are made members of His Body the Church and we begin our participation in God’s Divine Life (known as Theosis) by partaking of the Divine nature (2 Pt 1:4).
7. We spend the rest of our lives, together with His Church, partaking of God’s Divine Life & Energy (Grace) through the reception of His Holy Mysteries (Sacraments), Divine Worship (Liturgy) and especially through Holy Communion which gives us Christ Himself (Jn 6). Because God’s truth is liberating, we dedicate our lives to learning His Divine will -especially through study of the Holy Scriptures- and keeping His Commandments so that we may grow closer to Him and serve Him faithfully in this life.
A REAL ENCOUNTER with the living God is not only LIFE-GIVING, it is also LIFE-CHANGING!
Do you want to know the living God?
Do you want to partake of His Divine Life?
Do you want His peace and truth?
If so, contact a member of His Church who can help you do this. This is the reason God made you!